Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sabbath


A tricky one for me to be authentic about this week.  Although we have been very clear from the beginning of this blog/project that the pictures are hers to take and the words are mine to make, a concept as spiritually charged as Sabbath made me want to be as true to both of us as possible.  What’s true for me about the idea of a Sabbath is not what’s true for my sister, my Christian sisteror so I thought. 

I sat with this word for several days before I wrote a single thing.  I engaged in my own practice.  With yoga I am intensely committed to the work my body has to do but constantly struggling with the concept of satisfaction.  Am I doing it correctly?  Have I done enough?  Long enough?  Straight enough?  I try to let go of the striving and give in to the work my body can do, on this day, and then I must be finished.  I must step back from my postures and end with Savasana, the final pose.  Lay in complete relaxation while my body’s neurons integrate all the work that has been done.  This is very different from doing nothing.  

I opened a bible this week for the first time in…meh, not important to the story…and around about the beginning of the second chapter of Genesis, God looks out on the work that he has done and is satisfied.  So he rests.  He knows instantly that the work to be done, has been finished.  He steps back from the work and gives it time to all come together.  This is very different from doing nothing…and so I thought. 

There is a connection here.  There is a symmetry of ideas.  This concept of Sabbath has something to do with “doing" and then being satisfied.  Being satisfied that all that could be done, has been done.  Stepping back from the doing and resting in that place while your work comes together.  This is very different from doing nothing.  Sabbath.  Intentional non-doing.  Savasana.  Your choice.  After the work has been done.    

When you force yourself to stop and be satisfied.  Satisfied that the work you have done is all that could be done.  In this moment.  On this day.  

When you settle in to the relief and joy of knowing you have worked for your rest.  Rest that is very different from doing nothing.    

When you keep the Sabbath and let the work become a part of you, 

the rest will come.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sending a copy of this to my pastor. Totally up his alley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I had something else entirely in mind for this week's photograph, but after much practicing for the worship I help lead at a Bible Study I set my guitar down on the counter and saw the most beautiful reflection. Then I thought-hey, what a great way to experience Sabbath right then and there. After my work, there He was, and so I rested in Him...then grabbed my camera. Had to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, I love this. When you learn to be satisfied, the rest will come. Thanks sis.

      Delete
  3. liked this alot. working on rest, becoming less of an oxymoron..

    ReplyDelete